Goals for 2014

I spent the last few days in bed with the flu. In addition to missing the company of visiting family, I also missed writing time.

During those couple of days, my friend Tac Anderson asked on Facebook about people's goals for 2014, as opposed to resolutions.

That got me thinking. What I'd like to achieve in 2014 includes completing, editing, and publishing my next adult novel, editing and publishing my children's novel, and rewriting Avogadro Corp. (Avogadro Corp is a great story, but it was my first written work, and it's got some rough areas that could benefit from time and attention.)

One way or another, I will get those books done, but I'd prefer to do it with less stress than its taken to get some of my past books out. I balance a day job, a family, and writing, and although each book is a joy to write and publish, it's also exhausting to do on top of an already full life.

So my goal for 2014 is to get my day job commitment down from 80% time to 60%. (Hi boss!) To do that, I'll either need to bring in more book income, find alternate sources of income, reduce expenses, or some combination of all of the above.

I've been investigating foreign rights and traditional publishers, and I'll think more about kickstarter campaigns. I'm open to ideas if you've got any.

What are your goals for 2014, and how do you hope to achieve them?

No comments: